Monday, March 6, 2023

Hungary

 


This is a pastel on paper drawing from Hungary. I bought it at a gallery and had it shipped to me. They did such a poor job packing it that the frame and glass were completely broken. I contacted the gallery, and they paid for a new frame and glass. By the time we were done, the thing was basically free. I felt bad, but the frame and glass were so expensive. It looks to me like a family dressed in traditional holiday wear, kneeling to observe the little Nativity. I have a book about the tradition of the nativity in Hungary, and they are wearing very similar clothes and pointed hats. If you were not familiar with their customs you might think it strange. I have actually had a person ask if it was witchcraft, to which I responded, "No, it's Hungarian, they just look a little different from us." I love the drawing.
(L02.B999.R003.)

No comments:

Post a Comment