Monday, March 6, 2023

USA

I did not paint this plate. I bought it on Etsy but I thought this was a good place to add a little of my history and that of tole painting. 

"Historically, tole painting is a folk art that refers to the decorative painting you commonly see on tin antiques. The word "tole" is derived from the French term "tole peinti de las," which means painted tin. Typically, these are household objects like trays, coffeepots, utensils, containers, and on a larger scale, even pieces of furniture."

My history with tole: When Samuel and I were first married we spent the first 3 years living in Provo and going to BYU. When  I was about 39 weeks pregnant with Chantal, I decided that I wanted to learn to tole paint. There was a craft store on campus that I passed almost daily, and they taught the painting technique. I signed up for the class and went the first week. We learned what we needed to bring to class each week and we were given a brief lesson in basic strokes. That was a Tuesday. That week on Thursday I had Chantal, and then that Tuesday I returned to class with my completed list and a brand new baby. For the next several weeks I continued the class and started painting everything tole.   

Donated to the Mesa Temple Visitors' Center Collection. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment