Sunday, February 12, 2023

Ghana, Ashanti Kingdom, Akanland


I love this Nativity, although I always hesitate to display it. The reason I hesitate is because Mary is topless. I have had occasion to defend many portrayals of the Nativity. Someone might oppose that Mary is shown as a blonde or too light of skin or too dark. I always say, "The nativity is being portrayed by the people of this country and therefore will look like those people or their art work." I ask for tolerance in the way they are made, displayed and portrayed. This is a lesson I need to tell myself also. These characters are called, "Paddle People". This is an art form by a particular group of people and I'm happy they are expressing themselves in art. The Ashanti Kingdom can be found through out Ghana, Ivory Coast and Togo.
L09.B72.R05)

No comments:

Post a Comment