Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Mexico

 

This is one of my favorite sets from Mexico. It is painted in the Tonala style. I was once in a shop in Old Town San Diego and they had beautifully painted dolls. I asked the shop owner if they ever got in Nativities painted in the same style, and he said, no. I asked him if he had contact with the people that made the dolls, and he said yes.  I told him that if he would pass on the word that there are lots of people that would buy nativities like the dolls, they would really be doing a wonderful thing. He asked me if I ever went to Mexico, and I said only on vacation. He told me where the Tonalo people were from and suggested I visit the area. That was the first I learned of that style of painting. I found this set sold by Novica and was thrilled. It's pretty close to the dolls I saw in Old Town. I made the cave that serves as a backdrop. When I finished it, I thought it looked like Elvis's hair, so I always call this se, my Mexican Elvis set. I have purchased several sets from Novica. 
(L09B50.R003)

No comments:

Post a Comment